BookRecommendations

BookRecommendations

Heart of Briar - Laura Anne Gilman I love Laura Anne Gilman's novels, so when I saw this one at Netgalley, I requested it on the spot. After reading it, I am glad I did. Mostly. I had one big issue with it.This is the first book in the Portals duology, which isn't set in the Cosa Nostradamus world. No, this is a world filled with tension between the non-native Preternaturals and the native Supernaturals. I really liked that the Preters and the Supers behaved very differently. The Preters were cold, and only acted for the benefit of Preters. The Supernaturals on the other hand, were motivated with a drive to save the world.The characters were intresting. I liked how Jan struggled with the fact that Supers and Preters existed. I also liked the fact the Supers didn't try to hide that the situation was dangerous, and that she shouldn't really trust them.Jan's, Martin's and to some degree AJ's, search for Tyler was well plotted. I liked how it took Jan from an ordinary life, to a life filled with danger. What I especially liked was Jan's stubbornness. She was scared, but she searched for Tyler anyway. And I really admired her when she faced the Preters.Despite all the things I liked with this book, I didn't feel the urge to pick it up to continue reading when I put it down. But I still plan to get the second book.