BookRecommendations

BookRecommendations

Cast in Shadow (Chronicles of Elantra Series #1)

Cast in Shadow - Michelle Sagara, Michelle Sagara West What I liked about it:I picked up this one on Fictionwise, since I had wanted to read it for a long time. I am glad I bought it. It is a fast paced read, that at times feels like it is an Urban Fantasy. It hooked me from the start. From the opening scene, with Kaylin being awakened by the mirror . If the day started bad, it gets worse when she is told that she has to go back to Nightshade, the fief she grew up in To make things worse, she has two partners that she cannot quite trust. ( I loved that Kaylin makes no secret about the fact she would love to kill Severn.) But then Kaylin is courageous, sometimes bordering on reckless. She faces Lord Nightshade several times, alone. ( Lord Nightshade gave me goosebumps.) She faces her own memories again, albeit reluctantly. Kaylin is loyal, and would do anything for a child. And that is what really puts her in trouble. Through the book, it feel as if everyone knows more about the reasons, and about the probable source about Kaylin’s power. This causes a layer of suspense that gives the book another layer.What I didn’t like about it: What kicked this down from A to B- , was that Kaylin failed all classes, except Barrani. Despite this, she was allowed to become a hawk. Yes, I know it is fantasy but there should be some classes that are required to pass. Summary: A fast paced fantasy, with a tone of Urban Fantasy. Will I pick up the next book? Probably.